Building Enclosure Services
Constructability, Durability and Performance
An effective building enclosure forms a barrier (roof, exterior wall, or below grade assembly) protecting and preserving user regulated interior environments from uncontrollable exterior climates. At Epsten Group, we strive to improve every building enclosure we touch.
Building Enclosure Consulting Services
- Commissioning (New and Existing Buildings)
- Condition Assessments and Enclosure Surveys
- Forensics, Failure, and Water Intrusion Investigations
- Repair, Remediation, Rehab, or Restoration Design
- Design and Submittal Reviews
- Quality Assurance Construction Monitoring
- Hazardous Material Sampling (Lead and Asbestos)
- Insurance Claim and Litigation Support
- Reserve Studies and Maintenance Plans
- Historic Preservation
- Energy Modeling
- Life Cycle Assessments
Building Enclosure Testing Services
- AAMA 501.2 Spray Nozzle Testing
- AAMA/ASTM Air and Water Infiltration Testing
- Infrared Thermography Services (Air Leakage, Missing or Damaged Components, and Trapped Moisture)
- Whole-Building Blower Door Testing
- Infrared and Smoke Tracer Air Leak Testing
- Electronic Leak Detection Services (Roofing and Waterproofing)
- Additional Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing Methods (such as Drone Surveys, Wind Uplift, Material Thickness, and Adhesion)
There are many challenges and risks associated with building enclosure failures, such as sunken costs for remediation and repairs, lawsuits, and litigation. Our mission is to overcome these challenges, eliminate your risk, maximize your return on investment, and enhance the comfort and well-being of your building’s occupants.
The enclosure consists of a variety of materials and components that must work in unison to achieve desired performance objectives, such as integrity, air/water-tightness, energy efficiency, accessibility/security, views/daylighting, and soundproofing. Our experts have a great deal of knowledge and experience working with design teams and the available building products, manufacturers, and installers to coordinate the best approach for constructability, long term durability, and superior performance in a changing and sometimes unpredictable ecosystem.
On new development and construction projects, we collaborate with design teams to provide the explicit contract documents and coordinate with various team members to analyze pertinent submittals and assist with RFI correspondence. We confront challenges, track and ensure disputes are resolved and provide useful feedback throughout the mock-up and construction phases. After installations are complete, we employ industry standard testing methods to confirm and verify the performance meets the desired criteria. We also provide a guide for how to maintain your building components throughout their service life.
During occupancy/operation and at times of maintenance and repair, we use cutting-edge investigation and forensic tools to evaluate the condition and serviceability of your components. We provide the necessary documents and services to properly correct existing systems or instruct on the design of new systems. We also provide property acquisition and sellers with advice on how to maximize their return on investment.